Tuesday 1 April 2014

Marathon training - end of part one

"One final time, I will do a 'time on feet' run rather than doing the prescribed distance," I told myself on the last sunday of March. 20k over 2 hours instead of the 24.5k on my plan. Fresh snow meant a lot of crashing foot falls, flailing about and swearing at the cold wind. January weather is bad enough in January, so I was more than happy to get it over with.

Monday's 10k easy run was also cold, but it wasn't snowing and the wind had backed off. My toes hurt - or rather the part at the top between the bridge and toes. Doubtless from sunday's ordeal of random crash landings. The hope is that this won't happen again until next winter, though I wouldn't bet on it. 

Tuesday was still rather chilly, but one more easy 10k with fewer rattles and squeaks than Monday. New shoes got their first outing, no drama there as I've been wearing Adidas Response Cushions for 3 years.
Tuesdays are also a core/ weights day, 2 circuits of 11 different exercises. I tend to feel it little lifeless after this, though after dinner all's good.

Wednesday was shorts time. What are shorts? I'd almost forgotten myself. I buy running shoes 2 pairs at a time, so this was time to start wearing in the second pair. 
This was my final speed run of my marathon training, next week will be the start of strength runs - long intervals at between half and full marathon pace. Today's speed finale was 3x 6 minute intervals at with 3 minute recovery in between. Target pace is under 4:00/ km. I slow down if my garmin says I'm going 3:45 pace which to my delight I had to do several times. 

Thursday is a core/ weights day and the only day without a run. My least favourite day, but there's a plan to follow. On the whole, the fact that I have to restrain myself works in my favour. There are few times when I have to talk myself into it, though on the March Sunday I had to crowbar myself out of the front door. 
There was also a visit to the chiropractor, as I've been doing every 3 weeks since February. Calves especially tight this time, probably from sunday's crash-bang session. That and high mileage led me getting the choice between 2 or 3 weeks. 2 it is. Easy decision really.

Friday: marathon pace run, and warm enough for shorts again. Just the occasional bit of ice under bridges. I did a small amount of exploring and carried on the north side of the river on a pathway that passes through the middle of Calgary Zoo. For the record, one moose, 5 turkeys, a snow monkey, and a plastic diplodocus.

Saturdays are for my take on the biathlon. I take the bus to the gym, only 5 minutes away. I do 10 minute warm-up on the rowing machine, followed by 3 circuits of my core workout routine. I then get changed into running gear with as much preparation having been done before my core workout (drinks, etc). I eat a couple of granola bars while getting ready. I then run home with a small backpack on. I either run 16k which is followed by another 16k on Sunday, or 13k followed by 26. My legs often stiffen in the last 3 or 4k, though in the past couple of weeks they've been recovering quicker and quicker. 

Sunday's 16k found me trying a new path over the river in Fish Creek Park, turning around just as I got to the hill up the other side of the valley. I just managed to keep ahead of a dark rain cloud and back home to noodles for lunch. 
12 hours a week rather than 8-9 is having an effect on my weight - thinking the scales were off in my work changing room, those at the gym also say I'm lighter than I'd usually be at peak week. That's a whole month early. Most of the extra hours are at "fat burning pace" and more efficient use of fat for fuel is what my plan is designed to do, so probably a good sign. Saturdays involve core workout then 13 or 16k run home. That 3+ hours on my feet is probably mostly responsible for my trousers getting loose.  There are good signs, but I'm not going to take anything for granted. 

1 comment: