Monday 12 November 2012

Peak week done, thoughts on California International Marathon

I felt felt a touch burned out after sunday's long run. This coming week is only a little less workload than that just gone, but the easing off should start the build-up towards race-day energy levels. Snow and cold inevitably slows you down. There's the weight, drag and resistance of the extra clothing, the loss of efficiency from the low temperatures and loss of traction (both in slipping and snow absorbing the energy being put into the ground that would otherwise go into more forward motion). Feeling rather flat, I made my sunday run time-based instead of distance - 2 hours 45 minutes.
 
"Trust the process" is a mantra I've read and practiced for training. I felt rather wiped before the Harvest Half, with the feeling of speed and strength only coming to me a few days before the race. Look how that turned out:)
Last marathon I did, Calgary in May, I aimed for 3:10 and got 3:20:47 having to stretch 4 times (though still a 9 minute PB in my second marathon). For CIM on December 2, and with a watch that doesn't seem to have a "too fast" warning, I'll set it for 3:20:00, and pull slightly ahead of it. Gaining one minute every 8.5k will add up to a 3:15. I'd like this 3rd marathon of mine to not involve having to stop and stretch at all. Most vitally of all, I should finish one more race with the Mobot.

2 comments:

  1. What's your weekly mileage for the CIM peak? What was your weekly mileage for the Calgary Marathon? I suffered leg cramps in a number of marathons. This year I only had one race with bad cramps and that was in the last 5kms. I think additional mileage and a better hydration / nutrition plan has helped prevent cramping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. About 80k, 10 more than I did for Calgary. I've been training with energy chews to get more electrolytes in too. Should be better this time, more measured.

      Delete